Council approves new Student Union Board

Council of Representatives (COR) discussed the four resolutions passed in the March 18 Student Senate meeting and approved new Student Union Board leaders at its meeting Tuesday night.

The resolutions passed by Senate include a nomination of two student representatives to the Rector Approval Committee for Residence Halls and resolutions regarding diversity on campus, non-monetary aid to Haiti and seating arrangements for students at home football games.

Student body president Grant Schmidt highlighted the resolution involving diversity on campus. The resolution called for an examination of resources given to Multicultural Student Programs and Services (MSPS).

"We want more resources given to MSPS so that it can better fulfill its mission," Schmidt said. 

Schmidt said the issue is important because many individuals often find the support given to minority students on campus "frustrating."

Schmidt said Senate had another "very important request" for the University that involved the ongoing crisis in Haiti. 

Student government chief of staff Ryan Brellenthin said Senate proposed options for providing alternative versions of aid to Haiti, in addition to sending money.

"We're looking at potentially enrolling some displaced Haiti college students here at Notre Dame in fall 2010," Brellenthin said. 

Schmidt also discussed the addition of five new leaders to the Student Union Board (SUB).

Sophomore Norbert Hootsmans and junior Marie Wicht were both unanimously approved by COR to serve as co-directors of programming for SUB. 

"I really want to incorporate SUB with other parts of the University," Hootsmans said. "This collaboration will help because every year we look at what isn't here and we create new events."

"SUB helps people to grow in community and not just as students," Wicht said. "I want to make SUB more appealing and more accessible for the student body."

Juniors Mackenzie Keller, Patrick Sturm and Patrick Berry were also approved by COR for director of publicity, director of finance and director of operations for SUB, respectively. 

Schmidt then discussed the potential student government involvement in a baseball game between the South Bend SilverHawks and the Notre Dame baseball team, which will take place at Stanley Coveleski Memorial Stadium April 5.

"For the last three years, our Notre Dame team has played the South Bend minor league team and I want to know how COR thinks we can support this," Schmidt said.

In response, members decided student government will purchase about 200 tickets to give away to students and provide a shuttle bus to the stadium. The tickets will be provided on a first-come-first-serve basis. For students who do not receive a ticket from student government, tickets can be purchased at the stadium for $4.