ND Diving: Villaflor paves path for Irish at 12th

Three Irish divers placed in the top 20 of the 1-meter and 3-meter events held at the Boilermaker Aquatic Center in the NCAA Zone Meet this past weekend.

Junior Wes Villaflor led the way for the Irish with a score of 614.55, as he finished 12th overall in the 1-meter event. He improved on the score of 239.50 that he recorded at the meet as a sophomore.

Juniors Eric Lex (592.05) and Nathan Geary (536.50) finished 15th and 18th, respectively, for Notre Dame in the event.

"They dive as a team and that is something we have been able to do for years," Irish coach Tim Welsh said. "They are a unified group and they have had some great performances."

Villaflor also led the way in the 3-meter diving, finishing 13th overall with a score of 662.60. Geary finished just behind him in 14th with a score of 661.30. Lex finished 16th with a score of 646.90.

"We are pleased with their performance," Welsh said. "They have improved all year."
The top two finishers at the meet in the 1-meter were both Purdue divers. David Colturi (762.30) and David Boudia (746.30) finished first and second, respectively.

Purdue also had the top two divers in the 3-meter competition, with Boudia setting the pace with a score of 849.70. teammate J.P. Perez finished second with a score of 792.35.
The NCAA Championships will be held March 25-27 in Columbus, Ohio.