ND Swimming: Juniors earn All American honors

Juniors Amywren Miller and Samantha Maxwell ended their seasons by earning All-American recognition at the NCAA Championships at Purdue over the weekend.
Miller, in her third career NCAA appearance, set a school record and earned All America honors in the 50-yard freestyle race. Her time of 22.49 seconds was fast enough for eighth overall on the first night of competition. Miller was seeded No. 20 heading into the competition.
"Amywren's swim was a huge swim for her," Irish coach Brian Barnes told und.com Thursday. "She swam like an All-American. She has worked hard all year and this has been a long time coming for her."
Notre Dame alumna Carrie Nixon is the only other Irish All-American in the 50 freestyle. Nixon accomplished the feat in 1999, 2000 and 2002.
Maxwell also earned an All-American honor in the 100 breaststroke for the second consecutive season with her 14th-place finish Friday evening. She recorded a time of 1:01.09 in the finals after swimming a 1:00.69 in the preliminaries. Maxwell also earned All-American status in the event as a sophomore.
Both Notre Dame swimmers swam in Saturday's events, but neither one reached the finals of their respective races.
Miller finished 25th in the 100 freestyle with a time of 49.44 while Maxwell finished 36th in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:14.17.
The Irish had some ups and downs in the regular season before the Big East championships, where they had their best performance of the season and captured their 14th consecutive Big East title. The Irish should be favored to win the conference again next season as both Miller and Maxwell will return for their senior campaigns.
Maxwell and Miller picked up 14 points for the team as the Irish finished 38th among the 47 teams. Florida won the team title with 382 points, followed by Stanford with 379.5 and California in third with 363 points.