New advertising resolution passed

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) worked on finishing this academic year's issues at the second to last meeting before turnover on April 1. 

"There is always the chance that next year's administration will throw out what we do," Megan Griffin, SGA vice president, said. "But, we can't let that stop us from making decisions and doing everything we can right up ‘til the end."  

As one of its final acts, the board passed a resolution concerning the advertisement of SGA. Jennifer Hoffman, SGA president, brought the issue before the board. She said many people on Saint Mary's campus have no idea what SGA does. 

Hoffman said the SGA sponsors a large number of the events that take place on the campus but are not recognized. 

"Students wonder what their SGA board is doing for them," Hoffman said. "So we are passing this resolution that events sponsored by SGA have to state so." 

Many board members said it was important for students to know what SGA has done for them, so that they will know what it can do for them. The resolution declares any group receiving funds for an event from the board must say "Sponsored by Student Government Association" on all advertisements for the event. 

The board also gave funding to two clubs during the meeting. It is sponsoring a political science event that will take place on April 7. The club will be showing the film "Frost/Nixon" concerning post Watergate issues and is open to all students. 

SGA also sponsored an event hosted by Lambda Pi Eta, the Communication Studies honor society. 

Sophomore Cassie McDonagh,   said the group is holding a conference aimed at studying and deconstructing the social norms of beauty.

A particular issue the conference will be dealing with is child prostitution. McDonagh said they will be showing a documentary film on the subject, called "Very Young Girls." The event will be open to the campus and public. 

Next week's meeting will be the last of this administration, and the last chance for clubs to receive funding for this academic year, Hoffman said.