Not standing strong

"To whom much is given, much is expected." Sue Chambers quoted this well-known saying in her challenge to Notre Dame to uphold the teachings of the Catholic Church ("Dream Schools," March 30).

In recent times, Notre Dame has blatantly failed in its position as the nation's most well known Catholic university. The administration, most notably Fr. Jenkins, has given in to popular opinion instead of serving as a beacon for the teachings of the Church in an increasingly secular world. Instead of challenging the most pro-abortion president in the history of the United States, Fr. Jenkins and the University of Our Lady not only welcomed him with open arms, but they also bestowed upon him an honorary degree months after he struck down a rule that prohibits American money from funding international family-planning clinics that promote abortion. At Commencement in May, instead of feeling proud that I had graduated from the University of Notre Dame, I was ashamed and disgraced that Notre Dame and the administration succumbed to the celebrification of a man who consistently supports many of the beliefs that the Church vehemently opposes.

In a Viewpoint last March ("Money talks," March 24, 2009), I encouraged seniors to let their money talk. Every year, the Annual Fund hosts "Thanksgiving in February," a campaign designed to raise awareness among students about the impact of giving gifts of all sizes to Notre Dame. Once again, I will encourage graduating seniors to let their money talk. Consider how the dollars you pledge will be spent, and if you do decide to donate money to Notre Dame, be aware that you can restrict your contribution to a group, residence hall or activity that you feel will make the best use of your dollars.

Notre Dame critics routinely bash the football team for not living up to the standards that have been set over the years. It is now time for the University to be held accountable for not standing strong in it's position as the foremost Catholic university in the United States.

Kelly Kapshandy
alumna
Class of 2009
March 30