Resolution set to aid Haitian students

Student Senate passed four resolutions during its meeting Wednesday night.

Rachel Roseberry, chair of the Committee on Social Concerns proposed a resolution to help encourage aid to Haiti at the University.

In light of the recent tragedy in Haiti, the resolution asked the University to admit students displaced by the earthquake.

Jeff Lakusta, chair of the Committee on University Affairs, said the resolution offers a way to aid those in need.

"Not only is it a unique way to help but it seeks to fulfill our Catholic mission," Lakusta said.

The resolution passed unanimously.

The next resolution, also passed unanimously, aimed to amend the student body constitution.

While dealing primarily with technical parliamentary details, the resolution also proposed to add a workshop for incoming student government senators. The event is intended to smooth the transition for new senators.

Nick Ruof, chair of the Committee on Residence Life, proposed a third resolution on the organization of home football games.

Kevin Doyle, athletic liaison of the Committee on Athletic Affairs, said the resolution, passed unanimously, seeks to unify the undergraduate student body.

The final resolution — proposed by Shawnika Giger, chair of the Committee on Multicultural Affairs — passed unanimously. 

Among its proposals, the resolution targets specific offices to increase diversity programs, calls for more resources for Multicultural Student Programs and Services and encourages admissions to "increase its focus on promoting minority enrollment and maintain retention rates consistent with that of the racial majority students."  

"We have identified specific offices … to directly address these issues," student body president Grant Schmidt said.

Lewis Senator Cristi Yanker also supported the resolution, praising the importance of increasing diversity.

"So we can have diverse students and people coming up with great thoughts," Yanker said.