SGA plans for end of this academic year

In preparation for their upcoming term as leaders of Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) beginning April 1, juniors Rachael Chesley and Laura Smith attended Wednesday's meeting. 

Chesley and Smith were voted in as SGA president and vice president, respectively, for the 2010-11 academic year during the election Feb. 26.

SGA has started to prepare for the end of the 2009-10 term and will meet only three more times before the newly elected officers are sworn in on April 1.   

Chesley and Smith were shadowing the current president and vice president in preparation for their terms in office. They will continue to observe until they are sworn in to office and, after elections for the other offices this week, the new class officers will also be attending the SGA meetings. 

"The year is coming to a close very quickly and our term in office is almost over," current SGA president and senior Jenny Hoffman said. "It's time to think of what final things you would like to accomplish for the student body."  

Some of the suggestions made by the SGA members included vending machines in the Student Center and new vacuums in the dorms. 

Hoffman also said she and the current SGA vice president and junior, Megan Griffin, were attempting to initiate a Saint Mary' s heritage course. The course would be one credit and would teach students about the origins and founding values of the College. 

One of the final things SGA has done for the students of Saint Mary's College is to help fund one of the bigger events on campus — Dance Marathon. 

Kelly Deranek, Saint Mary's senior, presented a proposal asking for funding for Dance Marathon. The event is in its fifth year at the College and raises money for the Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis.

"The event's goal is to celebrate the hard work Dance Marathon has done all year to raise money for the hospital," Deranek said. "It promotes awareness of the hospital but the Marathon night is all about fun." 

The board members for the event have already begun fundraising, but because all the money has been donated to the hospital, they still needed funding for the event, Deranek said. 

The marathon is 12 hours of dancing with live entertainment and a DJ. It also includes food, games, last minute donations and a counting of how much money was raised. 

Dance marathon will be held in Angela Athletic Facility from 8 p.m. March 26 to 8 a.m. March 27. The event is for Saint Mary's, Notre Dame and Holy Cross students. Deranek said they are expecting around 550 people, which is the largest attendance the event has ever had.