Shamrock Shake Season Has Arrived

It's the most wonderful time of the year! No, not Lent. Shamrock Shake season, of course! Those wonderful green milkshakes are back at McDonald's in celebration of St. Patrick's Day. As a member of the Notre Dame Irish community, it's your responsibility to enjoy and support the Shamrock Shake at this magical time of the year.
The Shamrock Shake was first introduced to the public in 1970, and was available in nearly all McDonald's until the early 1990s. Though widely considered the predecessor to all seasonal beverages, the Shamrock Shake has, since its reign in the ‘70s, ‘80s and early ‘90s, become something of a domestic rarity. However, it seems that McDonald's has recently come back to its senses. In the last few years, there has been a rise in the availability of Shamrock Shakes come late February through St. Patrick's Day.
A Shamrock Shake is a hard thing to describe. While technically considered mint milkshakes, to the trained connoisseur, they are so much more. As a person who doesn't typically enjoy mint-flavored ice cream, it would be a disservice for me to label these delicacies as mere mint milkshakes. The light flavor is something of a delight to the taste buds regardless of proclivity to mint. There is some secret ingredient buried within that green milkshake-y goodness that adds a complex flavor to something that seems so simple. And they're green!
McDonald's has changed things up on us a little this year. It seems that the mega-restaurant chain has decided to class up their products by serving all milkshakes in a clear plastic cup, much like those used for frozen coffee beverages, with whipped cream and a cherry on top. While many will be horrified to see that their favorite wax-paper cups are no longer available, the beautiful light green color of the Shamrock Shake can now be shown off to all.
This year, I had my first Shamrock Shake of the season Friday, Feb. 19. The McDonald's on Ironwood did right by me and had my favorite seasonal beverage waiting for me at my first free moment on Friday afternoon. What a way to start out a weekend.
It has come to my attention that many at Notre Dame are unfamiliar with the ways of the Shamrock Shake. To this, I say for shame! Many will find it difficult to share the love for it that I have, but you owe it to yourself, and really to humanity as a whole, to at least try it. You might not like it, in which case I feel sorry for you, but at least you can say that you have tried the mighty Shamrock Shake. You will instantly garner the respect and admiration of those around you. And for those of you who have experienced the magic, I say that there isn't a moment to lose! Head over to the nearest McDonald's and start March off right!
For further inspiration on the quest for the Shamrock Shake, just search "Shamrock Shake commercial" on YouTube, and prepare for your mouth to water and your eyes to pop at the kitschy ‘80s era commercials. The only thing left to say, really, is bon appétit!