SMC elects class officers

Results are in, and the new leadership for the 2010-11 class boards at Saint Mary's has been chosen.

For the Class of 2011, juniors Kelly Lyons and Megan Flynn will be the president and vice president, respectively. Sophomores Nicole Gans and Maggie DePaola will take over for the Class of 2012, and the Class of 2013 will be led by first-years Katie Gutrich and Torrie Thompson.

Each of the new presidents and vice presidents will select the remainder of their boards and take office April 1, when the new Student Government Association (SGA) board takes over.

Class of 2011: Lyons and Flynn

Lyons said she wants to help make this a "memorable year" for the seniors.

Lyons said the major events of the year will be Senior Dad's Weekend and Senior Formal. In addition, she said there will be service projects and more senior-specific events on campus.

Lyons and Flynn hope to continue previous traditions while still working to make improvements.

Lyons also said she will be receptive to the opinions of her fellow classmates.

"We want to make sure every senior feels like they have had an input into each of our class events," Lyons said. "We hope that both our ideas and the ideas of our classmates for other senior class events will add to the memories of our final year."

Class of 2012: Gans and DePaola

DePaola said ­­being involved on campus is "very important" to her.

Gans and DePaola want to work toward bringing the junior class together next year.

"One of my main goals is to achieve a higher rate of class involvement," DePaola said. "Nicole and I are really trying to listen to ideas from our class."

In order to help smooth the transition, DePaola said they hope to keep members from last year's board to help keep them "knowledgeable" and "experienced" as a board.

They said they hope to continue with class events while increasing volunteering on campus.

DePaola said they will continue the Light the Night Walk, Junior Formal and Junior Mom's Weekend from last year's board.

Class of 2013: Gutrich and Thompson

Gutrich said she wanted the position of class president so she would have the opportunity play a larger role in the events on campus.

"Being an active member on campus is an important aspect of college life and I hope to encourage more of my classmates to get involved," Gutrich said.

Both Gutrich and Thompson have already started brainstorming new events for next year's board to plan, including a Welcome Back to SMC Bonfire and a Thanksgiving Food Drive.

"Next year, I would really like to see the Class of 2013 become more united," Thompson said.

Thompson said it is important to look toward the future since the Class of 2013 still has plenty of time together on campus.

"I want to unite the class," Thomspon said. "I think that's extremely important being that we have three more years together."

Gutrich also said they hope to have more volunteer activities available for the sophomore class to help bring them together.