SMC Softball: Borjorquez aids Belles to end strong

Saint Mary's split the final two games of its Spring Break tournament, losing the opener against Heidelberg (Ohio) 5-0 and concluding with an 8-0 trouncing of SUNY Potsdam in five innings in Florida. 

The Belles (6-4) began the day with a loss to Heidelberg where they just could not get anything going. The Berg controlled much of the game, including thrashing the Belles defense with stellar small-ball play. 

The Berg took advantage of base hits and walks to score runs as they jumped out to a 5-0 lead and never looked back. Heidelberg utilized a combination of a single, a walk, then another single to drive in a run numerous times. 

Sophomore pitcher Angela Gillis suffered her first loss of the season against Heidelberg. She went the distance and ended up allowing two unearned runs while striking out two. 

The Belles rebounded in the second game against SUNY Potsdam as they awoke their previously dormant bats to finish with an 8-0 win. 

Junior outfielder Hayley Bojorquez led the Belles as she went 3-for-3 with two home runs, two runs scored and five RBIs. 

"Hayley really stepped up as a veteran and picked us up after a game we shouldn't have lost earlier that day," Belles coach Erin Sullivan said. "She gave us great momentum with her bat and helped us have a successful finish on our training trip."

Outfielders senior Ashley Peterson and sophomore Lauren Enayati also provided the Belles with offensive production. Peterson was 4-for-4 and added an RBI and a run scored while Enayati went 3-for-3 with a stolen base and also a run scored. 

Sophomore pitcher Monica Palicki threw a stellar game, striking out six and allowing just one hit to the game's first batter.

Saint Mary's hopes to continue its recent success as it next takes on Goshen in a game that will be the Belles' first outside of Florida, where they began the season. The trip allowed the Belles to make adjustments and learn about themselves for the upcoming games. 

"I am so impressed with the progress we made," Sullivan said. "I want to see the whole team bring that energy and passion we found on our trip to our remaining games."

The Belles will face a hot Goshen team that won four of its last five games in the Spring Break trip in Florida. The Maple Leafs (5-5) used two shutouts and 31 runs to propel them to break even at .500 to conclude the break. Goshen's record does not speak for how it has been playing recently, and the Belles will need to jump out early to take command. 

"Our preparation for Goshen was more based on making adjustments from our games last week," Sullivan said. "We spent some time on the things we needed to do better and I'm hoping to see us respond to these changes and jump to an early lead."

Saint Mary's hopes to continue their success against the Maple Leafs as they travel to take on Goshen in a doubleheader Tuesday at 4 p.m.