SMC Softball: Offense powers Belles run

Tim Singler | Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hoping to continue their winning streak, the Belles head to North Park Sunday in a nonconference matchup.

Saint Mary’s (9-5) has been on a roll, winning four out of its last five games, including the previous two.

The Belles will face a challenge as they take on the Vikings (8-2).

“We are starting to play together really well,” Belles coach Erin Sullivan said. “We are still getting better every day, which will continue to help us with a tough conference schedule quickly approaching.” 

Offensive production has been key for the Belles this year. Senior outfielder Ashley Peterson and junior outfielder Hayley Bojorquez lead the Belles in most offensive categories. Bojorquez is batting .417 with five home runs and 17 RBIs, while Peterson paces the team with a .457 batting average and 18 RBIs. 

But the offense has some potential holes in it, which could lead to problems later in the season. Luckily for Saint Mary’s, the team has had a full week of practice and rest as it prepares for a tough stretch of MIAA conference games.

“I am glad to have the time to work on a few keys areas, especially defense and hitting with runners in scoring position,” Sullivan said. “After playing 14 games in 14 days, it’s nice to have that break to reenergize.”

In addition to the offensive production, the Belles have had some consistent pitching to complement the offensive firepower. Sophomores Angela Gillis and Monica Palicki have thrown well all season.

The Vikings recently swept Concordia Chicago in a doubleheader.

“I got to see them play a bit in Florida and they are aggressive, but when we play as a cohesive unit, we can compete very well with them,” Sullivan said. “They have quite a few seniors and upperclassmen, so even though we are younger, we should play well against them.”

Saint Mary’s will travel to Chicago Sunday for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m.