Students deserve preference

On Wednesday, I went to the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center, eager to get my hands on a ticket to The God Debate. Tickets had become available at noon to Notre Dame students, faculty and staff, but I had class until 1:40 p.m. When I arrived around 1:50, I was disappointed to hear they had run out of presale tickets about 20 minutes earlier. They told me that I could purchase a ticket at a later date.
I think the University should be doing everything it can to encourage students to attend these lectures. Therefore, I think only students should have been allowed to pick up tickets Wednesday. Distribution could have been opened up to faculty and staff Thursday. The timing was particularly unfavorable for students since many faculty members begin their lunch hour at noon, making it easier for them to get tickets before students got the chance. I would also like to know why some tickets are being held on reserve for later purchase — why don't students get preference for these tickets? If Notre Dame wants to encourage intellectual engagement on campus, they should do more to promote student access to these tickets.

Jessica Hedrich
junior
Ryan Hall
March 24