-

-

2009-2010: The year in …

Adriana Pratt, Tatiana Spragins and Marissa Frobes | Monday, April 26, 2010

Concerts

From spiky blonde hair to slicked-back midnight waves, Legends brought a wide variety of hairstyles this year to its stage. Ryan Cabrera didn’t leave his trademarked locks behind, nor did Joshua Radin’s coif disappoint. The diversity in hairstyles was nothing though compared to the varied performers who brought a taste of the outer-world to the Notre Dame bubble on Friday and Saturday nights.

The year kicked off with an awesome performance by Eric Hutchinson, rockin’ and rollin’ with his chill beats and hilarious in-the-moment improvisations, followed by the mystical reggae-rock of Matisyahu. Tyler Hilton provided the swoons the ladies who clamored to see his sexy presence while Ras Souljah got Domers reggaed, bringing an atmosphere of uplifted energy.

Bands famous in the late 90s were also abundant, like Sister Hazel and Nine Days. Seeing as how most Domers love to relive their glory days, visits from our past favorites were most welcomed and appreciated. Middle-school hits like “All for You” and “Story of a Girl” accompanied “90s Nightclub” events at Legends, making for the perfect time travel back to when we were cool little kids who didn’t care when the next Orgo test was.

The Verve Pipe and The Antlers also made an appearance, as did Carbon Leaf, matt pond PA and Wiz Khalifa. But consensus showed that nothing topped The Roots with Mike Posner. The performances put on by these individuals revitalized campus, and all that could be said after their April 10 show was how amazing it was.

Let’s hope next year brings as assorted a group of acts with as much talent and skill as this year’s bunch. Fingers crossed that Lady Gaga graces us with her presence.

Dorm events

A huge part of Notre Dame’s tradition is its vibrant dorm culture. This year was no exception, with a slate of dorm-sponsored events, from enthusiastic charity stunts to raunchy entertainment.

The year started off with the return of the Dillon Pep Rally before the first home football game. Cancelled the year before, Dillon’s biggest event came back in full force on South Quad, counting on the participation of all the other dorms on campus and skits that mock campus life.

With the first snowfall came Christmas time with Howard Halliday and Carroll Christmas — free homemade baked goods and Glee club singing at one, and the opportunity to sit next Carroll residents in costume and sing to Christmas Karaoke at the other. To alleviate tension before finals, students could also count on the Zahm and Alumni “bun runs” through LaFun and the Library, respectively. 

Starting off spring semester were McGlinn’s Casino Night at South Dining Hall, bringing together dancing and poker, and, just a month later, the annual and very popular Keenan Revue. Despite selling out every year, the Revue will have to find a new venue next year since their contract with Saint Mary’s will not be renewed. Popular for their hilarious — yet sometimes offensive — skits, the Revue was definitely one of the most popular dorm events of Notre Dame.

Also in the spring was the first Farley Fiasco, a “bobsled competition” (read: sled pulls on the JACC hockey rink), accompanied by other carnival-type foods and events, and a raffle. While the weather was still chilly out, Siegfried celebrated the Day of Man, in which these men can be easily identified by wearing their signature t-shirt, shorts and flip flops while everyone else is in coats and boots.

Yet as the weather warmed up there was the ever-popular Fisher Regatta, in which every dorm participates in a race across St. Mary’s Lake with their own dorm-made boat. For a more relaxed event, Domers counted on the Breen-Phillips Pig Roast on North Quad, where the barbecue was served to the students to enjoy whilst relaxing under the sun before the stress of finals started kicking in.

These events are only some of the many popular dorm-sponsored events on campus, and others include, yet are not limited to, Walsh’s Mr. ND and O’Neill’s Miss ND, the Keogh Chariot Race and one of the newest traditions, the Duncan Highlander Games.

These events are many times signature trademarks of the uniqueness of campus life here at Notre Dame, so to participate and/or attend them helps contribute to the unity of this campus and is also as a chance to support fellow Domers in events that take time and dedication to organize. And if you missed out on one this year — there’s always next time!

Star sightings

While campus concerts, dorm events and football games are all highlights of a Domer’s year, some of the most exciting moments at Notre Dame result from visits of random, unexpected celebrities. This year was no exception with appearances by singers, movie stars, major athletes and pop culture personalities.

Several football weekends were accentuated by celebrities who were rooting for Notre Dame or another team. Vince Vaughn, who got his acting start in the Notre Dame classic “Rudy,” came out to support the Irish at the Michigan State game in September. Also spotted at the game against the Spartans was Windell Middlebrooks, the beer deliveryman from the Miller High Life commercials. Another comedian and friend of Vaughn, Will Ferrell, arrived in South Bend a few weeks later to support his beloved USC Trojans. And then there was Scott Weiland, former Stone Temple Pilots front man, who seriously marred his face at a tailgate last season as a result of his inability to safely toss around a football.

In October, songstress Taylor Swift arrived on campus to tour with her younger brother, a prospective student. A good number of students took pictures with Swift as they flocked around her near Main Building. Swift’s visit even became ND’s first blurb on Perezhilton.com!

In November, the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center had the opportunity to host the premiere of “Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day,” the sequel to the cult classic. There were even informal discussions set up with the series creator, Troy Duffy, and Sean Patrick Flanery, one of the actors from the films.

In December, Michael Jordan came to support his son Marcus at the Notre Dame vs. Central Florida men’s basketball game. His visit went basically unnoticed, as he preferred to fly under the radar and sit in the press box.

In October, the band OK Go filmed their music video for a new song “This Too Shall Pass” with the Notre Dame marching band. The video turned out great, and singer Damian Kulash told Spinner Magazine that it “was a dream week of making a little movie.”

As evidenced, the 2009-2010 school year was spotted with stars, providing students with the opportunity to make their friends jealous as they name-drop in casual anecdotes.