Baseball & Softball: Nasty weather postpones five games

Wednesday's heavy rains and occasional thunder and lightning forced postponements for Notre Dame's baseball game with Western Michigan, Notre Dame's softball doubleheader against Bowling Green and Saint Mary's softball doubleheader at Albion.

No makeup date has been scheduled for the match-up with Western Michigan. The Irish baseball team (10-17, 1-5 Big East) will next host Rutgers in a three-game conference series this weekend, with first pitches at 5:05 p.m. Friday, 1:05 p.m. Saturday and 12:05 p.m. Sunday.

The two games opposite Bowling Green have been rescheduled for April 28, beginning at 4 p.m. The doubleheader will now contribute to a span of nine games in nine days for the Irish from April 21-29.

Before then the No. 23 Irish (26-6, 5-0) will host South Florida in a three-game Big East series this weekend, with a doubleheader Saturday. The first pitch Saturday will be at noon, and the game will be televised on CBS College Sports. The second half of the doubleheader will start at 2 p.m. Sunday's first pitch will also be at noon.

No date has been determined to make up the Belles games with Albion. Saint Mary's (13-9, 2-0 MIAA) next plays Saturday as the Belles host Alma at 2 p.m.