Class of ’14 promises diversity

Liz O'Donnell | Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The admitted Class of 2014 is the most talented and ethnically diverse Notre Dame has ever seen, said Assistant Provost of Admissions Daniel Saracino.

“This was the largest application class in history and at the same time it was the most academically talented and diverse class [we’ve seen],” he said.

Saracino said the University received 14,515 applications, with an average in the top 9.9 percent rank-in-class, 1319 SAT and 30.1 ACT.

“We admitted about 4,000 students and we project that we will enroll 2,035 students for the fall,” he said.

The average admitted student in the class boasted a top-4 percent class rank, a 1434 SAT score and 32.6 ACT score.

In addition to these admitted students, Saracino said the admissions office placed an 2,000 students on a waitlist.

“The academic profile of the students on the waitlist is similar to the academic profile of the group we admitted four years ago,” he said. “There are siblings of Notre Dame students who we couldn’t accommodate.”

Of the 2,035 students projected to enroll for the fall, Saracino said 23 percent will be of ethnic diversity and 3 percent will be international students. He said, however, statistics are only part of the whole package the new incoming class will offer.

“It is appropriate to say it isn’t fair to boil our applicants and admitted students to numbers,” he said. “Involvement, community service, leadership, talent in music and performing arts is great, if not greater, than ever before.”

Saracino also said he was pleased to see talented students coming from all over the country and the world.

” [I’ve seen] students coming from remote parts of the United States and the world,” he said. “It’s exciting to me to see students coming from the North Pole, small towns in Wyoming and they’re just as talented as students from New York and Chicago.”

With the struggling economy, Saracino said more than half the incoming class will likely receive financial aid.

“We’re estimating that half the students will be on need-based financial aid, three to four percent will be on R.O.T.C. scholarships and seven percent or more will be on financial aid athletic scholarships,” he said. “More than half will only be able to afford Notre Dame because of aid.”

Saracino said despite the increase in numbers, the University is still committed to meeting all need.

“We’re meeting 100 percent of the full demonstrated need of every student, a commitment we started in 1998 and we’re not backing away,” he said. “We have leveled the playing field, and if a student wants Notre Dame, they can come.”

Because admissions decisions have been sent out, Saracino said the admissions office will work to answer the questions of students deciding whether or not to attend Notre Dame.

“Notre Dame is not for everyone, we don’t try to claim we are. The best advice I can give to anyone is to visit and talk with the Notre Dame students and possibly shadow a student, spend a night in a residence hall and go to classes,” he said.

Saracino also said alumni will be calling admitted students to ask if they have any questions or concerns. The Center for Social Concerns and the Dean of the First Year of Studies will contact students as well.

“After all that, if they say no, then I feel comfortable. We haven’t lost a student because of an unanswered question,” he said. “With directors, campus ministry, if all that crosses them then it wasn’t meant to be. We want to make sure they don’t choose to go elsewhere because of some unanswered question.”