Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Coachella: Breeding Ground of Tomorrow's Trends

The music festival Coachella took over the valley of Indio, Calif., last weekend and left behind much more than memories of amazing shows. It seems that in the past years pictures of celebrities at Coachella have been popping up all over the place. Celebrities like Jake Gyllenhal, Reese Witherspoon, Drew Barrymore, Justin Long and Kirsten Dunst have attended the festival in recent years. That is what makes Coachella such a magnet for fashion. It's three short days, but the celebrities in attendance know they will be photographed, so they dress to impress. What these famous faces wear defines what is chic enough for the following summer. These clips are just a sample of the fashions seen at Coachella this year.
Alexa Chung, seen here attending the Lacoste party, has shot into the fashion spotlight because her originality and her British charm makes her downright delightful. She sported a silk romper, espadrilles, a light shirt and an over-the-shoulder bag to this year's festival. Her style can be emulated but never really repeated because there's just something indescribable about the way she dresses. It seems as though she is just effortlessly this cool.
Kate Bosworth, pictured here with Alexander Skarsgard, exudes that hip California vibe that Coachella is famous for. She chose to wear a loose-fitting tie-dye halter dress, gladiator sandals and a slouchy purse. Her outfit is the perfect blend of practicality and taste necessary for a music festival. Her style can be easily replicated because she hasn't chosen to wear anything outlandish — just simple clothes that look good and are comfortable, which is all you can ask for during a scorching hot day in the desert.
A miss this year would have to be Whitney Port. While she does have enough style to land her a job at Diane von Furstenberg, she didn't quite show it here. Wearing some kind of weird bathing suit top and extremely high waisted silk shorts, she looked as though she was trying way too hard. The outfit just didn't make sense, at least not for the venue.
Good, bad or really ugly, Coachella had plenty to offer this year for the fashion conscious observer.