Finishing next to the 50

Before the race started I thought, "Wow I'll run out of the tunnel just like the football players and cheerleaders onto the field and sprint all the way to the 50 yard line." Of course there wouldn't be the 80,000 person crowd cheering me on, but I would have the satisfaction of actually having been on the field sometime during my time here at Notre Dame.

The Leprechaun started off the race and sent us on our way throughout the campus course. How disappointed I was while running toward the Stadium at the end of the race and descending down the tunnel's path to see men in yellow jackets and yellow caution tape. The men said, "Keep to the right," and the runners were directed to run around the outside of the field. I finished next to the 50 yard line — not on it — and nowhere close to the center of the field.

For a race that is called "Finish on the 50," I think the runners should be able to actually run out onto the field. It's false advertising to tell someone that they are going to be able to do something but in reality you never had any intention of letting them. I don't really see how a group of runners in tennis shoes could do any harm to the Stadium's field anyway.

Next year's runners should be allowed to run out onto the football field and be proud of being a part of this Notre Dame community. We should all be able to take in for just one moment that amazing feeling of being on Notre Dame's football field. Life is too short to place restrictions on trivial matters of who can be on the field because "runners will tear up the grass."

So next time let us finish on the 50!

Alexandra Moulton
freshman
Walsh Hall
April 26