ND Softball: Big East winning streak goes on

Meaghan Veselik | Thursday, April 15, 2010

The No. 24 Irish swept a doubleheader over Big East rival Georgetown Wednesday 5-0, 3-2, at the Melissa Cook Stadium with help from senior first baseman Christine Lux’s two home runs in game two.

“Watching our senior captain have a great day like she did today gives you a comforting feeling,” sophomore catcher Kristina Wright said. “When you have one of your best hitters up to bat in clutch situations, you can’t help but to know she’s going to make something happen.”

Notre Dame (31-6, 10-0 Big East) is the sole Big East team undefeated in league play and has won all of its 11 home games this season.
“One of our goals for this year is to go undefeated in conference and at home, so with the two wins today it helped us get closer to achieving that goal,” Wright said.

Junior Jody Valdivia threw all seven innings of the first game, a two-hit shutout, and struck out 12 to secure the win. Valdivia came in to relieve freshman Brittany O’Donnell in game two after the Hoyas’ sophomore third baseman Mackensey Carter hit a two run homer in the top of the third inning to put the Hoyas up 2-1. Valdivia held Georgetown scoreless to close the game.

Carter allowed five runs in six innings for Georgetown in the first game, holding the Irish scoreless in the first three. Senior Jennifer Connell let in three runs on seven hits over six innings in the second. She struck out three and walked none in the loss.

Notre Dame got on the board in game one when sophomore infielder Dani Miller homered, senior catcher Alexia Clay scored on a Hoya error and sophomore outfielder Alexa Maldonado doubled for an RBI to put Notre Dame up 3-0. Maldonado and sophomore infielder Kasey O’Connor scored the remaining two runs for the Irish.
Senior second baseman Kelsie Hanson and senior third baseman Demetria Cirpriano scored the lone runs for Georgetown.

Game two saw two homers from Lux in the third and sixth innings and one from Fleury one in the third to put the Irish above the Hoyas two hits. Georgetown left 13 players on base throughout the game and had 11 hits while Notre Dame had 7.

However, the Irish feel the need to work on their hitting earlier in the game.

“One thing we needed to improve on was our quality at bats, usually we are more aggressive earlier in the count making things happen and we were a little tentative today,” Wright said.

he Irish return to the field today to take on Cleveland State in a 4:00 non-conference game in hopes of continuing their home winning streak before traveling to face Louisville Saturday.

“We are trying to take one game at a time, so beating Cleveland State is going to be the first step into this weekend against Louisville,” Wright said. “They are one of our biggest competitors so this weekend will be a big weekend for us.”