ND Track and Field: Notre Dame hits the road

The Irish will compete at the Drake Relays and the Hillsdale Relays this weekend in what will be their final competitions before participating in the Big East championships next week at Cincinnati.

"The key to success this weekend will be staying focused," sophomore thrower Michael Smigelski said. "Some members of our team are going to be spread out over a couple of meets, and some will be at home. It's important for everyone to keep a good mind set for the Big East meet, even if the people aren't necessarily competing this weekend."

Smigelski threw 46.25 meters in the men's hammer last weekend, and he is looking to continue the success he has had all season when he competes this weekend.

"I'm really hoping to get a personal record," Smigelski said. "I've had a pretty good week of practice, and I feel like the weightlifting has been eased up so that we can finally perform at our best."

Notre Dame had a successful weekend when it traveled to Purdue and the Mt. SAC Relays. Six Irish athletes picked up a first-place finish Saturday.

Freshman Rebecca Tracy won the women's 800 meter competition and junior Marissa Treece picked up top honors in the women's 1500. Senior Eric Quick topped the list in the men's triple jump. Junior Miklos Szebeny placed first in the men's 100, senior Balazs Molnar won the men's 400 hurdles and senior Joanna Schultz won the women's 400 hurdles.

The Big East championships will be held Friday through Sunday as the Irish hope to bring home another trophy in what has already been a rewarding season.