ND Women's Golf: Irish battle elements, take third in tournament

Notre Dame placed third in the Big East championship, held amid rain and otherwise poor golfing conditions in Palm Harbor, Fla.

The Irish, who finished 72-over with a final score of 936 against a seven-team field, improved their score in each round of play. During the three-round tournament, the team carded scores of 320, 313 and 303, respectively. The final-round score of 303 was the lowest score of the tournament.

Despite being one of the favorites to win the tournament, the Irish did not play to their potential. Irish coach Susan Holt said the results of the tournament will serve as a reminder to the Irish that mistakes are costly in the postseason.

"It needs to be a wake up call," Holt said. "This time of year we need to be playing better."
The Irish received solid contributions from a number of players. Pacing the Irish throughout the weekend was senior Annie Brophy, who finished in second place individually with a 10-over 226. She finished six shots back of Louisville's Sara-Maude Juneau, the top individual medalist of the tournament.

Brophy's play was hardly a surprise, as she finished with the top individual honor in 2008.
"Annie got it done," Holt said. "She had a realistic chance of winning the [individual] championship again."

Brophy found her stride in the second round, when she finished at even par — an eight-shot improvement from the first round that allowed the team to gain some ground.
During the first round, heavy rains and wind ravaged play and adversely affected the golfers. The Irish struggled during the deluge in the first round, but sophomore Katie Allare helped keep the team afloat with a 7-over 78. The championships marked the first time Allare broke the starting five, and she made the most of it, ending the first round tied for third overall.

Louisville claimed the overall title, finishing 16 strokes ahead of the Irish. South Florida took second.

Not guaranteed a bid in the NCAA regionals, Notre Dame will learn its postseason fate Monday.