New administration leads COR discussion

Census participation and pep rally reform were among discussion topics at the first Council of Representatives (COR) meeting under student body president Catherine Soler and vice president Andrew Bell Tuesday.

"A lot can get accomplished at COR," Soler said. "A lot of the decisions that we make as an administration are based on your feedback."

Soler turned the discussion to the census forms currently being administered to the student body. She said student government is pushing for Notre Dame students to complete the census by sponsoring a dorm competition. The residence hall with the most participation will receive a pizza party from Hot Box Pizza.

"We can receive up to $1,200 of federal funding for each person who completes the census," Soler said. "It's also incredibly helpful to the South Bend community."

One of the ongoing issues Soler brought to COR is the state of football pep rallies, which have been the source of much criticism.

"Pep rally reform is a big issue and is something that we've really been working hard on," she said.

"They're listening and they've been taking us seriously," she said. "We know what the students want and we feel that we've really been making progress."

Soler said Irish football coach Brian Kelly will meet with COR in two weeks to continue the discussion about pep rallies.

"Coach Kelly is going to set aside an hour to talk to us," she said. "This is really important because we're the first student group he's going to talk to."

COR members approved sophomores Erin Pankiw, James Kenney and Elle Metz as Directors of Special Events. Freshman Brandon Vo was approved as Director of Communication and sophomores Claire Sunderland and Ricky Bevington were approved as Directors of First University Experience in Leadership Program for next year.

Soler closed the meeting by reminding the new council of the importance of their role as members of COR.

"As leaders of student organizations, you can bring issues here to COR to discuss or get feedback; anything on the table is open to discussion," she said.