Recently elected SGA officers meet for first time

The new Saint Mary's board of Student Government Association (SGA) began the 2010-11 term when it held its first meeting Wednesday night. The main purpose of the meeting was for the new officers to get to know one another and for them to discuss their goals and expectations for the next academic year.  

SGA president Rachael Chesley and SGA vice president Laura Smith took over in office on April 1.

"Laura and I are fairly new to this," Chesley said to the other officers. "We have already learned a lot about SGA over the past month and we are looking forward to learning more from you and getting your help and input. We are very excited about getting started on this coming year." 

Wednesday's meeting was the first for many SGA officers.  

Chesley said her and Smith's goal was to integrate equal amounts of experienced students with new students who have fresh perspective. They said they feel that this was the best possible way to serve the student body. 

SGA discussed that they want to get more involved with the student community. Among many other comments, the Board told Chesley and Smith they thought it would be good if they were visible around campus and at campus events.  

They also talked about how SGA meetings and offices are open to the student body and ways to get the students more interested in attending them.  The board will attempt to increase attendance at the SGA meetings in order to hear what issues students care about.

"If I was in the SGA meeting or in the office, I felt like I was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be," Smith said. "We need to change that and make sure students feel welcome." 

Patrick Daniel, director of Student Involvement, was at the meeting and told the officers they needed to get the student body behind issues they believed in strongly. 

He also said the new Board needed to make sure when they choose issues, they are representing the average Saint Mary's student. 

Some of the issues the Board intends to address in the coming year are networking between clubs on campus and the availability of service project opportunities for students.  

The Board will continue to meet every Wednesday until the end of the year.