SMC Golf: Belles welcome Trine for home dual meet

The Belles will try to rebound from a disappointing third place finish at last week's Southwestern Invitational when they take on Trine University Saturday afternoon in a home dual meet.

"The last couple trips have been a challenge but it's good to be back in some familiar surroundings," Belles coach Mark Hamilton said. "I'm looking forward to a breakthrough weekend."

The No. 5 Belles have had success against the Thunder in the past, beating them in the fall season as well as taking second place at the Trine Invitational. With a win, the Belles will be able to regain confidence that was lost when things didn't go their way in Texas.
However, Hamilton said the Trine University lineup could have a different feel to it heading into this weekend's matchup.

"They may have added a couple new players for the spring season, but we'll see what happens," he said. "We're definitely optimistic."

Trine University is led by senior Becca Miller and junior Katlyn Pero. Miller had a successful fall season, as she was awarded First-Team All-MIAA honors. The Thunder finished fourth overall in conference play.

The Belles looks to discard the inconsistency that plagued them throughout the Southwestern Invitational, particularly on the tournament's final day, when the team squandered a chance to hold onto second place.

"[In Texas] we were cruising along making a lot of pars and birdies, then an 8 or 9 would creep in somewhere and that would put us back behind the eight ball," Hamilton said. "It was pretty disappointing — we all just played poorly on the last day as a team which normally doesn't happen."

The Belles will need a big performance from the trio of junior Mary Kate Boyce, sophomore Natalie Matsuzak and junior Rosemary O'Connor, each of whom has played an essential role this season. With MIAA qualifying right around the corner, Hamilton is looking for a complete performance to boost the Belles to an automatic bid for the NCAA Division III Tournament.

"We need some solid scores out of our top three players, but our four and five spots are key to our success," Hamilton said. "I look for whoever plays in those spots to be consistent and come in with a good number."

The Belles will take on Trine Saturday at noon at the South Bend Country Club.