SMC hosts mom's weekend

Saint Mary's Junior Mom's Weekend is aimed to bring mothers and daughters together for a weekend of fun, junior class president Meghan Helmle said.

"It's definitely just a time to relax," Helmle said.

Mothers will visit campus today, Saturday and Sunday to spend quality time with their daughters.

"Its also good to bond with our moms," junior class treasurer Katie Brown said. Though the weekend was originally intended for just mothers and daughters, the Junior Class Board decided to open the event to all female relatives, but Brown said most of the relatives that will visit are mothers. More than 250 mothers and relatives are expected to attend, she said.

"Our theme for the weekend is that daughters and mothers are friends," Helmle said. "We're definitely pushing and encouraging moms and daughters to form a friendship and making it a lasting relationship."

The moms are scheduled to arrive on campus and register between 3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. today.  Registration will be held in the Gillespie Conference Center at the Hilton Garden Inn, where wine and cheese will be served from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

In addition to the wine and cheese, a silent auction will begin at 5 p.m. and continue until 7:45 p.m., when the winners will be announced. 

"We are doing a silent auction, and we had over 45 people donate baskets," Helmle said.

Events will continue Saturday, beginning with a Mary Kay Skin Care party in the Student Center Lounge from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. A jewelry sale will also be held during the weekend with a special piece of jewelry designed just for Junior Mom's Weekend. The sale will be held in the Student Center Atrium from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Brown said many of the events will be held on campus to show off the College.

"We wanted to keep it on campus, or as close to campus as possible, so the events, our two big events, are held at the Hilton," Helmle said. "We really wanted to showcase our campus and show how nice our school really is."

Students and moms will have the chance to participate in a tie-dye event from 10 a.m. to noon in Conference Room C in the Student Center and a scavenger hunt, which takes place around campus. Wine glass decorating will also be available from noon to 2 p.m. in Earley Conference Room E in the Student Center.

Moms and daughters can also participate in the game, "How Well Do You Know Your Belle." Afternoon tea will be held in Haggar Parlor. The day will end with a showing of "A League of Their Own" with pizza and pop in Vander Vennet at 8 p.m.

On Sunday, mothers and daughters will eat brunch together from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., and Saint Mary's President Carol Ann Mooney speak at 10:15 a.m. Brunch will be held in the Ballroom at the Gillespie Conference Center at the Hilton Garden Inn.

The weekend will conclude with Mass at the Church of Loretto at 11:15 a.m.