SMC Softball: Belles ready to take on Adrian after three losses

Michael Todisco | Thursday, April 15, 2010

After a much-deserved three-day rest, the rejuvenated Belles will hit their home diamond against conference foe Adrian College tomorrow. Saint Mary’s is coming off of a frenzied weekend of softball, playing six games in a series of three double-headers.

Although Saint Mary’s (16-12, 5-1 MIAA) dropped the last three games of the weekend, Belles coach Erin Sullivan is confident the team can rebound tomorrow against Adrian.
“With the break and a couple of good practices, we are right where we need to be,” Sullivan said.

Adrian (19-5, 5-1 MIAA) currently sits in third place in the conference and should present a test for the Saint Mary’s squad.  

“We want to beat Adrian and have a good record halfway through conference play,” Sullivan said. “Adrian is a good team and we want to play well as they will likely be among the top four teams at the end of the regular season.”

The game will prove pivotal for the Belles for two reasons: positioning themselves in the conference and assessing Adrian as a future tournament opponent.

“We will likely see Adrian in the tournament and we can not only use these games to win and stay in the top of the conference, but we can figure out their hitters and pitchers to better prepare for the tournament,” Sullivan said.

Another story to watch is the continuing stellar season of Ashley Peterson, who was named the MIAA’s player of the week on Monday.  

Sullivan said she believes her success can continue tomorrow against Adrian.

“[Ashley] is in a groove right now and I know she will always put her best out there and leave everything on the field,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan said that after the hectic weekend, the team’s schedule sets the Belles up for a potentially successful run at the end of the season.

“Luckily, the remainder of our games are spread out enough to give us at least one practice before we have to play again, which is very helpful in preparing for the next opponent,” Sullivan said.

The game will begin at 3:30 p.m. at Saint Mary’s.