SMC Softball: Busy Belles win three, drop three

Tim Singler | Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Saint Mary’s  split six games in a marathon weekend, sweeping Albion 13-12 and 10-2 in six innings, splitting against Alma with a 4-3 win in nine innings and 13-5 loss in five innings and losing two contests to Franklin 6-3 and 18-7.

The Belles (16-12, 5-1 MIAA) began the weekend with a trip to Albion (15-9, 4-0), where they outscored their opponent by nine runs over the two games. Senior Ashley Peterson had a career series against Albion, as she shattered numerous Belles’ records.

Peterson set Saint Mary’s records for career home runs and career hits in the series, finishing the day going 7 for 9 at the plate with three homers and three doubles, while driving in 11 runs.

These accomplishments earned Peterson the MIAA Position Player of the Week honors.
“Ashley Peterson’s five home runs on Friday and Saturday were so clutch and showed how great a hitter she really is,” Belles coach Erin Sullivan said.

The Belles returned home after the sweep of Albion to host Alma in another MIAA doubleheader Saturday. Saint Mary’s won the first in remarkable fashion, winning 4-3 in the ninth inning. Peterson recorded the game-winning hit with a double to right-center field that drove in the winning run.

Peterson became the first player in Saint Mary’s history to reach 200 hits in a career. She continues to help pace the Belles with her explosive offense statistics, many shattering school records.

The Belles suffered a loss in the second game of the doubleheader, falling 13-5. The Scots jumped out to an early lead and never looked back.

In their final day of action, the Belles lost both games as they traveled to Franklin. Part of the reason for their lack of success may be in part because of fatigue. The team had played four games in two days at two different fields before facing the Grizzlies.

“Six games in three days was definitely physically and mentally exhausting,” Sullivan said. “But we were battling with some lineup changes on Sunday and it just wasn’t our day.”
But the final two games were not all bad news.

Junior Hayley Bojorquez finished off the record-setting weekend for the Belles. She set the single season home run record for Saint Mary’s by hitting her eighth home run of the season.

The Belles will next host Adrian Thursday at 3:30 p.m. in another crucial MIAA battle.