SMC Tennis: Belles look to bounce back against Chicago

Coming off of a hard-fought 6-3 loss to Calvin last week, the Belles look to get back on the winning track tonight when they travel to the University of Chicago.
The Maroons are ranked third in the nation, providing a challenge for the Belles (8-4, 2-1) in their second-to-last non-conference match of the season.
"We're hoping to play pretty well," junior singles player Kate Grabarek, an Observer sports writer, said. "The University of Chicago is a talented team. We know they are good, and that is shown by their ranking. They'll be solid up and down the lineup."
With the MIAA championships to be held in less than three weeks, matches like the one Saint Mary's will be participating in against Chicago will give the team experience against tough opponents.
"We're bonding pretty well and getting ready for the MIAA conference championships," Grabarek said. "We need to work on doubles and stay focused on singles. This time of year is busy because school is winding down and the tournament is approaching."
The match at Chicago is the first of three contests this week for the Belles. They will travel to Albion Wednesday and to Kalamazoo Saturday for two conference competitions.
"We can't train as hard as we normally do because of the three matches this week," Grabarek said. "Usually Monday is our day off, but we took Sunday off this week because of our match against Chicago. Also, it gives us only one day to prepare for Albion, which will show us where we are as a team."
With the end of the season in sight, the Belles have been working especially hard to improve upon last year's conference finish of fifth in the consolation round.
The Belles will face the Maroons at 6 p.m. in Chicago.