SMC Tennis: Saint Mary's suffers third straight decision

In another close conference matchup, the Belles fell 6-3 to host Albion yesterday.

Scoring for Saint Mary's (8-6, 2-2 MIAA) were juniors Jillian Hurley and Mary Therese Lee in the No. 2 doubles slot, senior captain Camille Gebert at No. 2 singles, and junior Franca Peluso at No. 4 singles.

Belles coach Dale Campbell said the doubles play was the major factor in the outcome but was happy with the way his singles players performed.

"I felt like we could have won at least two doubles matches," Campbell said. "I've got to give [Gebert and Peluso] credit for the way they played."

Campbell was also pleased with the heart the Belles displayed.

"We had three matches go down to the wire at the end," Campbell said. "Everybody fought hard."

Despite the heart they showed, he did see holes in a few of his players' performances.

"A couple of our players did not play up to their potential," Campbell said. "But we did have a few injuries to deal with."

Campbell saw some good things against Albion (11-6, 5-1), an MIAA foe and annual challenge for the Belles.

"I think we're doing a better job of hitting the ball deeper in the court," Campbell said.

"We're playing more offensively overall."
Albion was hot coming into yesterday's match. The Britons' previous match was a 9-0 domination of Trine.

For the Belles, the loss marks a third-straight MIAA defeat and another possible step down in the conference standings. Coming into the match, Campbell said the match was important in terms of seeding for Saint Mary's in terms of the MIAA tournament.

The Belles will look to bounce back when they face Kalamazoo on the road Saturday.