Students prepare for Earth Day festivities

Students looking to celebrate Earth Day will have numerous opportunities to do so on campus this year, from fashion shows to rock climbing walls.

"This is the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, so we wanted to make the celebration a good one," said junior Regina McCormack, co-president of Students for Environmental Action (SEA). "The major goal is to celebrate environmentalism at Notre Dame and increase awareness about environmental responsibility." 

Campus celebrations will kick off at 11 a.m. with an Earth Day Rally at Fieldhouse Mall, which includes a free climbing wall open to all students.

"Bringing a portable wall to campus seemed to be the perfect way to expose the Notre Dame community to something fun and exciting," junior Brent Kelly, treasurer of the Notre Dame Climbing Club, said. "In addition to the physical and mental challenge of rock climbing, there is also a spiritual aspect that demands a respect and admiration for nature."

He said the club chose to do this as a part of the Earth Day Rally to emphasize the majesty of the natural world and humanity's responsibility to it.

Environmental and sustainability groups from the South Bend area will also be at the rally giving out information about their work in the community, McCormack said.

"My hope is that the rally will teach students a little more about real-life environmental issues and what people are doing now to cope with them," she said. "It's really just a fun, outdoor celebration of Earth Day."

GreeND, another environmental group working to improve energy efficiency on campus, will host the Rising Sun Green Fashion show tonight at Legends at 5:30 p.m.

"The show will feature over 90 outfits made from recyclable materials or purchased from second hand stores," McCormack said. "SEA is so excited to help out as a co-sponsor and supply student models and volunteers for the event."

She said many of the clothes that will be modeled will also be on sale following the show. 
Tickets for the fashion show can be purchased for $5 at the door or in the LaFortune Box Office.  

"We hope that these events will allow people to enjoy being in fellowship with their peers while celebrating the beauty of Earth," McCormack said.  "Earth Day is really a time for people to come together and appreciate the beauty and bounty of nature."