Track: Irish tally 21 top-five finishes at Dave Rankin

The first day at the Mt. SAC Relays brought seven top-five finishes for the Irish, including one first place finish. That only marked the beginning of a successful weekend. The following day six members of the Irish team took first in their events at multiple competitions.

Senior Daniel Clark won the men's 1500-meter Olympic Development University/Open by less than half a second at 3:43.23, senior Joanna Schultz won the women's 400-meter hurdles by a margin of six hundredths of a second with a time of 58.47 at the Mt. SAC Relays and senior Eric Quick won the men's triple jump with a distance of 14.82 meters at the Long Beach Invitational.

Junior Marissa Treece won the women's 1500-meter at 4:36.23, junior Miklos Szebeny won the men's 100-meter dash at 10.74, freshman Rebecca Tracy won the women's 800-meter at 2:10.58 and senior Balazs Molnar won the men's 400-meter hurdles with a time of 54.42 at the Dave Rankin Invitational hosted by Purdue.

During the first day of events at the Mt. SAC Relays, Quick took second in the men's long jump, sophomore Kevin Schipper took fourth in the men's pole vault at 5.20 meters and freshman Nevada Sorenson took third in the 100-meter hurdles.

Sorenson, who took first place last week, said she is pleased with her races so far this season, but still striving to run the best she can.

"When I'm warming up for my race I'm not thinking about how fast I have to go to win; I'm thinking about how fast I need to go to PR. Winning is fun, but improving my times is my main focus," Sorenson said.

Freshman Jeremy Rae and sophomores Jordan Carlson and Johnathan Shawel dominated the men's 1500-meter, taking second, third and fourth respectively.

The Dave Rankin Invitational brought the best results for the Irish, with a total of 21 top-five finishes, 11 of which were in the top three.

For the women, junior Rudy Atang finished third in the shot put with a distance of 14.72 meters, junior Jasmine Williams finished third in the long jump at 5.89 meters, sophomore Maddie Buttinger finished second in the high jump at 1.67 meters and third in the 100-meter hurdles at 14.97 and senior Jaclyn Espinoza finished second in the discus throw at 50.93 meters.

The Irish have their last meets before the Big East championships beginning Thursday at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, and Friday at the Hillsdale Relays in Hillsdale, Mich.