SMC Basketball: Kammrath leads balanced offense

Tim Singler | Thursday, May 13, 2010

With only one senior to rely on, Saint Mary’s turned its inexperience into success en route to an appearance in the MIAA tournament semifinals.

Picked to finish third in the conference in the MIAA coaches’ pre-season poll, the Belles opened their conference schedule 5-2 before a late losing streak caused them to finish the season at 10-8 in the MIAA, 15-12 overall.

“After graduating four seniors in ‘09, and returning Anna [Kammrath] as our only senior for the 09-10 season, I knew we would be very young,” Belles coach Jennifer Henley said. “I think as the season continued, we matured as basketball players and found our chemistry.”

That chemistry resulted in a 61-59 win over Albion in the first round of the MIAA tournament, but the Belles lost to Calvin, 90-71, in the next round.

Saint Mary’s relied on a balanced offensive attack throughout the season, led by sophomore Kelley Murphy and her 14.2 points per game. Three other Belles averaged double-digits.

Kammrath, averaging 11.0 points per game, nearly averaged a double-double, as she also tallied 9.8 rebounds per game this season on her way to many school records, including most rebounds in a game (23), most steals in a game (9) and most rebounds in a career (863).

“I think you have to recognize Anna Kammrath for all that she has done in her career,” Henley said. “As far as statistics go, Anna had her best season as a senior breaking several records along the way.”