Freshmen adjust to college life at ND

Freshmen are feeling the pressure of juggling academics and a social life after their first few days on campus.
Freshman Kaitlyn Keelin said the assignments have been stacking up.

"I wasn't really nervous," she said. "I'm slightly overwhelmed by the readings already on the first day. I wasn't ready for it."

Keelin, who is taking mostly general requirements, said she is still in the process of making friends and branching out on campus. Her roommate, Rebecca Moriarty, said she has made friends with mostly the other residents of her dorm.

"It's a lot different than what I expected," Moriarty said. "Actually, I didn't know what to expect."
Freshmen Bobby Hess and Taylor Nutter said the worst part of the first week didn't come in the classroom, but rather in adding final touches to rooms and class schedules. 

"It's been busy, but it's been really nice. Everybody's really kind here," Nutter said. "I'm from San Diego, and I couldn't take that much. I had to find all I needed here. I also got into [Introduction to Anthropology] with [Professor James] McKenna, so I'm really excited."

Hess said his schedule was finally organized with his adviser.

"It was a shock at first to walk into a 250-person general chemistry class," he said. "But my seminar is nice."

While some freshmen stress about making friends, Keelin is not worried because of the campus atmosphere.
"I always heard people were friendly — that they go out of their way to help," she said. "It was pleasantly unexpected."

Hess was worried about making friends while keeping his grades up before he got to campus, but those fears subsided after learning he was living in Sorin College.

Moriarty, whose mother attended Notre Dame, heard stories about friendships made on campus.

"From that, I thought I would've had great friends by now, but it's more than that," she said. "You have to find people you want to be with."

Athletics seem to be the most anticipated social event. Both Moriarty and Keelin said they cannot wait for football season to begin, and Hess said he's been attending games with his family for more than a decade, watching the student section.

"I'm looking forward to being in the student section and doing all the cheers," Moriarty said.
Keelin is also looking forward to interhall athletics, specifically soccer, although worries about balancing everything are also growing stronger.

"I just feel stressed out about it already," Moriarty said. "But I'll be okay. I'll just set my mind to it."