Men's Golf: Scodro looked at to help team reach goals

While the Irish look to build on last year's successes when they finished second in the Big East, the team's fortune depends largely on Max Scodro.

A double monogram winner from Chicago, Scodro, a junior, was named to the All-Big East squad in each of his first two seasons with the Irish. His sophomore season concluded at the Big East Championships with a first place finish, as he tied Georgetown's Vincenzo Salina, Evan Beirne of St. John's, and teammate Tom Usher, before losing in the four-man sudden death playoff.

Heading into the 2010-11 campaign, Scodro owns the third-best stroke average in program history (74.36) through two seasons. Forty-six of his 51 rounds (26 of 27 during the 2009-10 season) have been counted since the start of his collegiate career, a strong enough average for the fifth best percentage since 1990.

In the 2009-10 season, Scodro played in 11 events for the Notre Dame team, posting a 73.96 stroke average, notching three under-par finishes and picking up seven even-par matches.

He also posted two top-10 finishes in his sophomore season, one at the Battle of the Warren and the second at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic last fall.

But numbers aren't enough for him, Scodro says. He is hoping for improvement from both himself as well as the rest of his team on the course this season, calling the past seasons "disappointing."

"I am extremely excited for our team this year," he said. "Not only do we have some important players returning, we also have some new players looking to get in the line up and compete at that next level. My last two years with the team have ended in disappointment and this year I expect nothing less than to compete in Nationals."

Scodro said he knows exactly what he needs to do to bring his game up to the next level.

"This year I think I will definitely have to improve my consistency with my short game," he said. "I had good days last year but this year, if I can get my short game more consistent, I think I can turn some bad days to an even par round."

With a clear set of goals in mind, Scodro and the Irish will first tee off Sept. 13-14 at Kiawah Island, S.C., in the College of Charleston Invitational. The first home match will be held Sept. 27-28 at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic at Notre Dame's Warren Golf Course, one of two home events for the Irish.