Notre Dame Media Day: On recruiting

Notre Dame has already secured 16 verbal commitments from the class of 2012, including five four-star players. That list includes four commitments made in the space of 24 hours on July 30 and 31, from running back  Justice Hayes and defensive ends Aaron Lynch, Jalen Brown and Anthony Rabasa.

While coaches are not allowed to discuss specific recruits before national signing day on Feb. 2, 2011, several spoke to the success at Notre Dame's media day Tuesday.

"The recruiting effort is obviously going great," defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator Chuck Martin said. "There's not a lot of guarantees in college football, but if you look at his résumé, it's a pretty easy sell that if you come to play for Coach Kelly, you're going to probably win a championship. Because he's always won championships." 

Outside linebackers coach Kerry Cooks said recruiting will continue to improve as the team does.

"Notre Dame is well-respected and well-known," he said. "Kids get bright-eyed when  you mention Notre Dame. But at the end of the day, in their minds they want to go somewhere that's consistent in winning nine, 10, 11 games and is competing for BCS Championships."

Martin said he does not know of another school that recruits as nationally as Notre Dame does, which means his staff needs to be very organized — and ready for long hours.

"It's a lot of grind and communication. I don't think any of us knew what we were getting ourselves into, but obviously, so far, so good." 

Overall, their message to players is a simple one.

"You're selling what Notre Dame has to offer you, not only short-term but long-term," Martin said.