Saint Mary's Board of Trustees elects 10 new members

During the spring meeting, Saint Mary's College Board of Trustees elected 10 new members, Susan Dampeer, assistant to the president of the College said.

The Board also elected a new chair, Mary L. Burke. Burke will serve a three-year term. She has been a member of the Board since 2005.

According to Dampeer, the Board elects new members each year.

"[The Board members] are on [the Board] in such a way that some rotate off every year," Dampeer said.

The new trustees are: Michael E. Cahill, Nancy Dobson, Thomas P. Fitzgerald, Catherine Frischkorn, Sr. Judith Hallock, Beth Veihmeyer, Joan LeSage, Sr. Rose Anne Schultz, Linda Kawecki and Emma Hoffman.

Cahill acts as president and chief operating officer of The Options Clearing Corporation in Chicago. He is also involved in a variety of organizations including Boy Scouts of America, The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago Financial Markets Working Group and the Notre Dame Club of Chicago.

Dobson works as the executive vice president of Uniland Development Company in Amherst, N.Y. Dobson is a member several boards including Claremont Housing for the Elderly, People Inc. Foundation and the Kenmore Mercy Hospital Foundation.

Fitzgerald also is active on several boards. He sits on the Loyola University Health System and Leaders Bank boards. He also works with the American Cancer Society. Fitzgerald is currently a capital partner with the law firm Winston & Strawn LLP.

Frishkorn serves as a board member and volunteer for the Crossroads Foundation. She also acts as vice president of the Saint Bernard Parish Conference of the Pittsburgh Society for Saint Vincent de Paul.

Though Hallock is currently on sabbatical waiting for a new ministry assignment from the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, she has previously served as the area coordinator of North America for the Sisters. She also worked with Saint Ignatius, Martyr, Parish in Austin, Texas.

Veihmeyer serves as a board member for the Providence Hospital Foundation in Maryland as well as Support Our Aging Religious (SOAR). She previously worked as a public relations consultant for Rand Construction Company. Veihmeyer also served on the Saint Mary's College Alumnae Association Board of Directors previously.

LeSage works as the assistant general counsel for Commercial and Environmental Law for the Southern California Gas Company.

Schultz previously served as the vice president for mission at the Center for Spirituality at the College. Currently, Schultz is on a year-long sabbatical.

Kawecki is currently serving as the new president of the Saint Mary's College Alumnae Board. She is a corporate financial executive and has previously worked as the director of financial analysis at Tenet Health Systems. Kawecki will serve the Board as the Alumnae Board Representative during her term on the Board of Trustees.

Dampeer said Emma Hoffman, a senior at the College, was elected to act as the student trustee. Hoffman will serve a one-year term.

Hoffman is a biology major who has been an active member of the Student Government Association. Hoffman has also been involved in the Biology Club at the College and is a peer minister.

"The student representative is a full voting member of the Board of Trustees, equally responsible. There is nothing that separates her from the full Board," Dampeer said.
The new members were invited to visit the College in June for the Board's annual retreat. The retreat is a two-day event held each summer to allow the Board to discuss issues further in depth, Dampeer said.

Dampeer said the new trustees will become official members during a meeting this October.

The Board holds three regular meetings during each academic year.

"[The Board] sets policy, monitors the mission and selects the President," Dampeer said.
Dampeer said the Board is also responsible for making decisions about tuition fluctuations.