SMC Golf:Belles set to start off fall season

Tim Singler | Thursday, August 26, 2010

As the school year begins with lots of new expectations, Saint Mary’s looks to set the bar even higher this year.

Big expectations are the norm now for the Belles. Last year, Saint Mary’s finished as not only the best team in the MIAA; they were also one of the top teams in the NCAA.

Belles coach Mark Hamilton said that the team has some particular goals they want to achieve.

“Our goal this fall is to win the MIAA championship, perform well in the two big tournaments, the O’Brien National Invitational and the NCAA Fall Preview and to be ranked in the top 5 in the country,” said Hamilton.

Two of the top returning golfers for the Belles this upcoming season includes seniors Mary Kate Boyce and Rosie O’Connor. Both helped lead the team to the NCAAs last season and helped the Belles have one of their best seasons in school history.

“Our two seniors, Mary Kate Boyce and Rosie O’Connor need to play well for us to be successful, and I fully expect them to rise to the occasion,” Hamilton said.

Boyce also finished in the top ten in the country and received All-American honors. Boyce was named to the All-MIAA First Team and finished ninth at the NCAAs in the spring, earning All-American honors. She finished ranked 38th among Division III golfers with an 82.06 spring average. O’Connor has been a consistent team player since her freshman year, often coming in third for the Belles on the course.

“They know the history of our past successes and they are ready to do their part to insure our future success,” said Hamilton. “The upper classmen enjoyed our run in the NCAA last year and would like to get back and improve upon our 4th place finish.”

Saint Mary’s will be competing in eight tournaments, including the MIAA Championships. The Belles will also have the opportunity to play in familiar territory, as they compete in the O’Brien National Invitational at the Warren Golf Course.

“We have a relatively young team with six new players so they are eager to see what it is all about,” Hamilton said. “The uppers know what they are capable of and our excited about the high level of play the freshmen have brought to the team.”

The Belles will compete at Trine August 28 and 29, teeing off at 1:00 p.m. each day.