Soler and Bell welcome Class of 2014

Catherine Soler and Andrew Bell | Saturday, August 21, 2010

Welcome Class of 2014!
We hope that you’ve enjoyed your first few moments here on campus and have had a stress-free move in! We are lucky enough to have been elected as your student body president and vice president. Student government at Notre Dame is made up of many branches which you can learn about at Activities Night and get involved in within the next few weeks.
Student government is the link between the students and the administration, presenting student voice and opinion on a variety of issues. This year we are working on projects as large as the Rent-A-Text program in the Bookstore and as small as the introduction of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus in the Dining Halls. We help plan Pep Rallies; have created “The Wall,” a spot in LaFortune to check out events for students; and sponsor the Freshman Bus Tour (which is this Monday at 5 p.m.!). We also work on long-term initiatives such as revamping the main lounge in DeBartolo, creating an Off Campus Discount Program, coordinating a campus-wide social justice movement focused on fighting hunger and working with the local community to promote good neighbor relations and a positive connection to South Bend. We also do simple things such as provide free DVD rentals in our office, free newspapers in the Dining Halls and other campus locations, and the Transpo 7A Midnight Express on the weekend nights.
Ultimately, our primary role is to serve you as a student here at Notre Dame. We are fortunate enough to have the resources and respect from the community to make changes, give student input and work with our peers to create a better experience for us all. Please feel free to contact us with ideas, suggestions, questions, concerns, etc. We would love you to join us as we work for our University. There are two great opportunities for freshmen to get involved in student government, feel free to visit studentgovernment.nd.edu to learn more about them!
As for us, you can find us practically 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in our office in 203 LaFortune. We would love for you to stop by to talk, complain, tell us a joke or bring us candy from the Huddle.
Also, if you’re lost on campus, want someone to talk to (or your parents want someone to talk to), need to ask a question, etc., look for a Student Government member wearing a blue “Ask Me” name tag. They will be happy to help!
Enjoy your first few days on campus! To keep it brief, here is our one line of advice as you begin these unforgettable years here at ND: Be open, be excited, embrace it all and be yourself!
We are so happy to have you here! See you at the first pep rally!
Go Irish!

Catherine Soler
Notre Dame student body president
Andrew Bell
Notre Dame student body vice president
Aug. 19