Talkin ’bout practice: August 19
Sam Werner | Thursday, August 19, 2010
The Irish took the LaBar practice fields for the 16th practice of fall training camp. Media members were on hand for the first four practice periods. Here’s a quick rundown of what went on.
- Former Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian was on hand to watch practice. Parseghian spoke to the team for just over five minutes before they took the field. Head coach Brian Kelly said after practice that this was the first time several Irish players had met the legendary coach.
- A slew of players were out of practice or limited, likely as a result of yesterday’s two practices. Middle linebacker Anthony McDonald was using a crutch after hyperextending his knee and center Dan Wenger was in street clothes still recovering from a concussion last week. Offensive tackle Matt Romine was also still recovering from a concussion.Tight end Kyle Rudolph was in shorts after a hamstring injury last week. Defensive lineman Ian Williams was also held out with a toe injury. Kelly did say, though, that all the injured players should be ready to go by the middle of next week.
- With McDonald out, Carlo Calabrese ran with the first team at middle linebacker.
- Even though senior Mike Ragone was back in full pads today, sophomore tight end Tyler Eifert practiced with the first team on offense. Kelly said that Ragone was at about 50 percent after being taken to the hospital for heat-related illness last week.
- Freshman quarterback Tommy Rees and junior quarterback Nate Montana split reps with the second-team offense, as did junior running back Jonas Gray and sophomore running back Cierre Wood.