-

-

Away Game Etiquette

Marissa Frobes | Friday, September 17, 2010

You have felt the joy of beating Purdue. You have dealt with the pain of losing to Michigan. Rather than experiencing numbness watching the Michigan State game this Saturday on a television, many Domers will venture to East Lansing to await Notre Dame football’s fate first-hand.

As a native Michiganer, I have been to one away game each year in my home state for the last two years. If you are traveling to MSU this weekend, get ready to see college football game days in a completely different light.

What to Expect

Notre Dame maintains a multitude of die-hard fans. However, the Spartan advantages of man-power (more than 45,000 students in attendance, yikes!) and a lack of Catholic social teaching constantly nagging their consciences allows them to more freely express their… pride. By “freely express” I mean be prepared for heckling galore, the frequent outburst of obscenities and a proclivity towards group-bullying. If you walk into a Sparty-dominated tailgate, expect an unfriendly chant for at least five minutes before you get a hot dog. Don’t let it ruin your pre-game, though. State fans will appreciate your loyalty if you play into the jeering and throw something right back at them.

Do

1) Wear blue and gold. MSU’s school colors are green and white, and you don’t want to be accidentally mistaken for a Spartan if you sport green garb.

2) Keep in mind this is a night game — you need to survive until 8:00 p.m. Do not get overexcited and “tailgate like a champion” to the point where you’ll be searching for a futon after dinner.

3) Have fun! Rep for ND, make your presence known in East Lansing and make new friends. You’ll be surprised how excited any Domer will be when they see a classmate away from school, even if you do not know them at all.

Don’t

1) Get lost. Stick with a friend — the MSU campus is huge and you could get caught up in a myriad of places. Spartan Stadium could end up being miles away from where you are.

2) Antagonize a Spartan for too long. Remember that no matter where you are, you are surely out-numbered. When alcohol is involved, inhibitions usually aren’t — don’t get trapped in a sticky situation.

3) Cower in fear. In the wise words of Freekbass, “We are ND.”