Club Sports: Montee, Lugo compete for Irish in bike race

Special to The Observer | Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Murphy Kate Montee and Jose Lugo represented Notre Dame at the Purdue Cross-Country Mountain Bike race Sunday.  Montee placed first in the Women’s A category.  After a rough start, she pulled ahead and won in an exciting sprint finish.  Jose entered the singlet rack in the front of the Men’s C pack, but flatted halfway through the lap and walked it in.

Women’s Rugby

This weekend, the Notre Dame Women’s Rugby Club defended their home turf for the first time in club history with a 42-17 win over Northern Illinois University.  The Irish wasted little time putting points on the scoreboard with a quick try by Ashley Okonta.  The women of Northern Illinois University responded with a try and pulled ahead 7-5.  The Irish scored another try to regain the lead, which they maintained for the remainder of the match.  Despite a few penalties, the Irish showed vast improvements and dominated the majority of the game. 

Men’s Water Polo

The Notre Dame men’s water polo team beat Michigan State’s B team, but fell to Michigan State’s A team, Grand Valley State and Purdue at the Michigan State Invitational this weekend.

The Irish fell to host team and eventual champion Michigan State 16-8. The Irish started out strong against the Spartans, one of the nation’s top teams. With about a minute left in the half, however, with the Spartans leading 6-4, the Irish defense allowed a slew of goals, and the Spartans took commanding lead of the game.

Captains Dan Geisman and Matt Fordonski, along with sophomore Chris Jennis, notched goals for the Irish.

Notre Dame lost its second contest of the day 10-8 to Grand Valley State. The game was delayed because of rain for several hours, and when it finally started, the Irish started out ice cold. Going down several goals in the first quarter, Notre Dame was unable to regain the lead. The Irish played a hard and physical game, but the Lakers ultimately emerged victorious. Sophomores Jon Hancher and Chris Jennis, along with graduate students Craig Bentzen and Sebastian Testero scored for the Irish.

The Irish finally got in the win column against the Michigan State B team Saturday. The Irish appeared to start out much looser this game, and quickly jumped to a 3-0 lead. Goaltenders Tate Kernell and Geno Freeman were able to hold the Spartan shooters at bay, and the Irish defense held them to only one goal in the first half. During the second half, however, cracks began to show, and the Irish gave up several goals on their way to a 10-5 victory. Freshman Jack Turek and Peter Wasik had strong games, and Fordonski again led the way in scoring, with Testero, Hancher, and Geisman also scoring goals.

In their final game of the tournament, the Irish fell Purdue 6-4. The Irish again came out cold, and found themselves in a 4-1 hole within the first ten minutes of the game. But the Notre Dame defense buckled down, and only allowed two more goals for the rest of the game, with none allowed in the second half. However, the Irish failed to create quality chances. Hancher scored two goals, and Jack Turek and Dan Geisman each added one.

The team will be in action next in conference qualifiers the first weekend of October.

Notre Dame’s sailing club competed in three regattas this weekend, with mixed results. At the Detroit Yacht Club’s Sloops Regatta, the Irish finished fourth among six entrants. In the JV Regata at Denison University, freshmen Phil Hootsmans, skipper, and Lucy Smith, crew, placed second in the B Division. At the Davis Club at Iowa, the Irish finished seventh in a field of eight schools. Over twenty club members participated in the three events.