-

-

Commercial portrays ‘Fighting Irish’ on NBC

Nora Kenney | Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A new two-minute commercial now airs on NBC during every home game, asking viewers “What would you fight for?”

The ad focuses on the academic work that is done at Notre Dame. 

“Three years ago we came up with a concept — ‘what would we fight for?'” Todd Woodward, associate vice president for Marketing Communications, said. “The concept is built up around us being the ‘Fighting Irish,’ which is based on football. 

“Football is critical to us, as is our Catholic identity, in communicating what makes Notre Dame unique.” 
Woodward said University President Fr. John Jenkins’ campaign to boost Notre Dame’s reputation as a prominent research university is showcased in the advertisement.

“In the ads, we focus on what people don’t know about us,” Woodward said. “We want to bring awareness to the academic work that our students and faculty are engaged in, but look at it through a Notre Dame lens since we believe we are not like any other school, and our approach here is different.”

Last week’s commercial featured the work Notre Dame has done in Haiti in the aftermath of the earthquake.  The commercial shows the devastation in Haiti, and then responds to the presentation of this problem by offering a solution.

Researchers at Notre Dame have created new technology to aid field medical workers with diagnoses. The commercial features the research being done at Notre Dame and the faculty who are spearheading the research campaign, including Dr. Chia Chang of the College of Engineering.  

The commercial also attempts to convey why the work is being done and why such work is important to a student or faculty member doing research at Notre Dame, Woodward said.

“First rate medical care is a fundamental right for every person.  Our hope is that our technology can make this a reality for everyone,” Chang said.

Woodward said Chang’s story is only one of many interesting stories happening on campus. 

“Notre Dame is full of amazing stories — incredible things our faculty and students are doing,” Woodward said. “To me it’s about why they are doing it … We want them to say this seems exactly what Notre Dame ought to be doing. It is so important that Notre Dame does this kind of work and it seems in line with their character.'”
The commercial ends with Chang saying: “Fighting for innovative health care, we are the Fighting Irish.”