-

-

Game weekend support

David Zimmer | Thursday, September 9, 2010

Let me begin by commending you on your enthusiasm and rowdiness this last weekend against Purdue. You set the tempo right away with a huge turnout to the first pep rally and carried it over to the game on Saturday. In the past, however, we’ve seen a drop off in attendance and support at the pep rallies and games as the season went on. I’m urging you today not to comply with those negative traditions. This weekend marks one of the biggest rivalries in college sports as two of the winningest college football programs in the nation square off in what is sure to be an electrifying game. It is time for us to take ownership in our football team and show them that we will be there rain or shine, yelling till we’re hoarse, and never doubting for a second that they’re going to beat up on Michigan all day Saturday.

That support starts on Friday at the pep rally. Coach Kelly and the football team will be on stage at the pep rally and we need to show them that the entire student body is ready to start building the excitement right away. Student government has organized a parade to lead our entire student body over to our pep rally venue at the Irish Green Friday afternoon. The band, cheerleaders and fire department will be waiting at main circle by six o’clock where we want the entire student body to congregate for a walk over. The fire department will lead the students down Notre Dame Ave. and into their own reserved section right in front of the stage for the pep rally. The walk over begins at six o’clock Friday night, so get to main circle early.

Also, in order to unify our stadium against Michigan this weekend all of the Irish fans should wear Kelly Green to the game. The wolverines will be thunderstruck when they encounter the angry sea of green facing them as they walk out of our tunnel.

You’re the best student body and fans in the nation and we’re going to start showing why teams should fear playing at Notre Dame. We’re going to support our team the whole season, starting Friday night, and they’re going to go out and take care of business on Saturday. Wear Kelly green to the game. Go Irish! Beat Michigan!

Your Fighting Irish Leprechaun,

David Zimmer

senior

off-campus

Sept. 8