Give me a reason to shake up the thunder

I am writing in response to Todd Velianski's letter to The Observer ("Shake up the thunder," Sept. 21). In the letter, Todd expresses his "dismay" over the "abuses" by majority of the upperclassmen not cheering on the football team enough for his liking.

Although some may agree with Todd's desire for more enthusiasm and zeal from the juniors and seniors, I do not believe it is a sentiment shared by many of the upperclassmen. What Todd seems to not understand is how awful the football seasons have been for these upper classmen. This senior class will graduate with the worst four year record in Notre Dame history. We have seen one win against Michigan, zero wins against USC and zero home wins against Navy. That's right, Navy. Excuse us, Todd, if we no are longer cheering our hearts out for a team that has shown us nothing but disappointment for four years.

The truth is, tailgating and socializing with your friends is too much fun to let something like the football game ruin it. So, Todd, my friends and I will continue to enjoy ourselves on football Saturdays, throw out the occasional cheer and not get too down when the team loses another game in the last minute. You keep cheering your heart out and see where that gets you. Oh, and you don't know what a "rough season" is until you've experienced 3-9.

John Harig

senior

off-campus

Sept. 21