Hot start for Carroll Hall

Carroll Hall is the smallest dorm at Notre Dame, and is often an afterthought to others on campus — especially, in recent years, athletically.

"In my 10 years in Carroll, we've never won a baseball game," Rector Fr. James Lewis said.

This year has been radically different, though, as the Vermin baseball team stands at 3-1, and is on the verge of the playoffs. Similarly, Carroll's soccer and football teams hold 1-0 records after opening wins over the defending champions and runners-up, respectively.

Much of this newfound success may be due to Carroll's current freshman class, which makes up 50 of the dorm's 99 residents.

"Our freshmen are awesome," senior resident assistant Rob Wilson said. "The energy in the dorm has never been better."

All three teams have received boosts from freshman, like pitcher Pat Callahan, who stuck out 13 batters in six innings in Carroll's first win, and cornerback Bobby Dorman, who returned two interceptions for touchdowns against St. Edward's.

And with this recent jump in winning percentage, dorm enthusiasm and excitement have been raised as well.

"Dorm spirit has never been higher," dorm president Andrew Owens said. "And it has showed not only in our sports, but in all our other events as well."

That dorm spirit appears to have reached new heights even for Carroll's rector, who has offered some extra incentive to the football team.

"My beard is older than anyone in Carroll Hall," Fr. Lewis said at a recent hall government meeting. "But if we make it to the stadium, I'll shave it off."

Carroll will have to work to keep up their fast start in interhall competition, but for now, as Wilson said, "It's a great time to be a Vermin."