Increased parking rates raise questions

Awareness and cooperation are the two things that Director of Security Dave Gariepy said can prevent students from receiving security issued traffic and parking citations. 

A recent increase in cost of vehicle registration has lead to student speculation; however, Gariepy assures students that inflated cost is not a ploy to reduce the number of drivers on campus. 

"We were significantly undercharging for campus parking privileges as compared to other colleges," Gariepy said. "The rates will be raised $10 per year for full academic year, on-campus registrants until the fee reaches $100.00." 

The money from the registrations fees goes into the College's general fund.

Despite the increased price of vehicle registration, Gariepy said the number of registered vehicles is consistent with past years with approximately 750 student vehicles.

In addition to the 750 student vehicles on campus, security also organized the many faculty and staff vehicles. 
"The most common citations are issued when students park in faculty/staff spots and when students fail to register their vehicles," Gariepy said. 

Student vehicles are able to park 24 hours in the Angela Lot and the three west rows and the single south row of the Regina Lot. The Angela Lot, the Regina Lot, the Commuter Lot (located north of the Science Lot) and the last three northern rows of the Science Lot are available for off-campus student drivers. The remaining lots on campus are reserved strictly for College faculty and staff.

Although citations are more common at the beginning of the school year, Gariepy said this number will decrease as students become more aware of parking regulations.

Gariepy said good advice for students is to become familiar with the parking restrictions in order to avoid unwanted sanctions. 

Students must also avoid any parking that would block traffic lanes, access ramps, crosswalks or trash receptacles. Grass, sidewalks and any yellow curbs are also off limits.

For more information on campus parking and traffic, students can visit http://www3.saintmarys.edu/parking-and-traffic or contact Saint Mary's security at security@saintmarys.edu