-

-

Irish Green rally draws 20,000; 9 arrested at game

Megan Doyle | Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Damp weather did not prevent nearly 110,000 fans from heading to campus Saturday for the football game against rival Michigan, Director of Game Day Operations Mike Seamon said. 

Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) arrested nine people in total and removed 63 people from the Stadium, NDSP Director Phil Johnson said.

“Police made two arrests on campus outside of the Stadium,” he said. “Both arrests were for public intoxication, and additional charges of minor consuming and resisting law enforcement were requested against one of the subjects.”

Most of the fans removed from the Stadium were targeted for impairment or possession of alcohol, Johnson said. 

Overall, the weekend ran smoothly despite rain on Saturday, and students and fans showed up under the blue skies on Friday for the pep rally at Irish Green, Seamon said. 

“The pep rally to our best guess was well over 23,000 people,” Seamon said.

Seamon said between 3,000 and 3,500 undergraduates participated in the student walkover and the rally, and Game Day Operations gave away 2,500 thundersticks to members of the student body. 

Seamon said the tunnel into the Stadium was open to the public again Friday, and more than 4,200 fans entered through the gates to see the field. 

Saturday’s crowd generally arrived later because of rain earlier in the day, but the rivalry still brought about 10,000 more fans to campus than the Purdue game the previous weekend, he said.

“The numbers were off the charts,” Seamon said. “Everyone is excited about Coach Kelly and the team, and we really want to capitalize on that excitement.”

Pedal cabs and golf carts provided campus transportation for fans again Saturday. Due to rain, the pedal cabs were not available Saturday morning but ran over 240 rides during the afternoon, and fans are taking advantage of the golf carts as well, Seamon said. 

“We did about 1,100 golf cart rides Friday and Saturday,” Seamon said.