Men's Tennis: Watt aims to boost legacy

After two consecutive selections to the All-Big East team, Casey Watt has already proved himself as one of the best players in program history. His next step is to become one of the best players in conference history.

The junior from Gibsonia, Penn., made an impact from the start for the Irish as he won 28 of 33 matches his freshman year. At the end of the season he was named to both the All-Big East team and Big East All-Academic honors.

Watt improved in his sophomore campaign and was once again named to the All-Big East team. His role as a team leader was crucial for the Irish, as the team earned a berth in the NCAA Tournament before being eliminated by Wisconsin.

"The biggest highlight was our match against Wisconsin," Watt said. "They are one of our biggest rivals and we lost to them by a score of 4-3 twice my freshman year. Last year we remembered the terrible feeling we had after those losses and went out and beat them 4-3 at home."

Watt played no small role in the match, as he defeated the seventh ranked player in the nation in a comeback victory.

"Clearly Casey is our toughest competitor and has a reputation as one of the toughest players in the country," assistant head coach Ryan Sachire said. "When you have someone who you know is going to give all, then the other players certainly have someone to look up to and emulate."

Despite the success he experienced in his first two years, Watt is motivated to make some more damage on both the Big East and national levels.

"This year we have seven seniors and four juniors, so we have extremely high expectations because we are such an experienced team," Watt said.

Watt added that he hopes to qualify for the NCAA Singles Tournament this season. He also hopes that the Irish win the Big East and host the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament.

He noted that the Irish have had a strong work ethic on the court and in the weight room as they look to attain those goals.

"We are trying to go as long and as hard as we can this season," Watt said. "We are making it a point to do the little things right which will add up in the long run. The team atmosphere is at its best and people are constantly pushing each other to work even harder."

For Watt, the expectation is that the added work will result in a tournament berth and another selection to the All-Big East team.