Morrissey, ultimate team host frisbee event

The ultimate frisbee club team and Morrissey Hall teamed up to hold an all day frisbee event Sunday on South Quad to raise funds for the Robinson Community Learning Center. 

The ultimate team members took shifts from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. to keep a 12-hour game of ultimate frisbee ongoing. Regular frisbees were used throughout the length of the day, while a light up disc was used when it got dark in order to keep the game going.

"We wanted to keep [the donations] in the community and make it local, so that everyone on campus could relate to the event," senior Megan Franke, co-captain of the girls' team, said.

She said they like to give back to South Bend, particularly to the people with whom they have relationships.

The team has a long-standing relationship with the Robinson Center, and many of the team members have tutored and worked there.

In previous years, the ultimate team has had similar fundraisers for the Robinson Center, but they were located at Stepan Fields. The women's team co-captain, senior Amy Bilek, said moving the location of the event this year helped to get more donations and more people involved in the event. She said the event was successful and a lot of fun for team members and participants alike.

Bystanders of all ages were invited by the ultimate team members to join in on the game, watch or just donate to the Robinson Center. Participants in the game were allowed to play as much as they wanted throughout the 12 hours and were allowed to leave and return to play as long as they wore their wristband. 

The day was mainly a way for the ultimate team members to have fun with each other and give back to the community, Bilek said. The score was not kept during the 12-hour long game because there were so many participants and team changes. The goal was to get students and non-students alike to join in on the fun and donate to a good cause. 

Fun variations of ultimate frisbee were tested out to keep the game interesting and participants on their toes, Bilek said. The team's goal was to get a dorm rector or any students' parents involved in the game at some point during the day. 

The ultimate frisbee club team is made up of about 70 members who are from Notre Dame and Saint Mary's.

The teams are separated by gender and within each gender there is an "A" team and a "B" team. 

The team practices twice a week and competes in local contests and tournaments in places like Las Vegas, Baton Rouge and Tallahassee, Fla. Their first tournament takes place on Oct. 2 in South Bend where roughly 40 other collegiate ultimate frisbee teams will compete.