-

-

ND Women’s Soccer: Jersey auction to start for Kicks Against Breast Cancer

Chris Masoud | Tuesday, September 28, 2010

After dismantling Cincinnati and Louisville over the weekend with nine combined goals and allowing none, the No. 5 Irish have been playing their hearts out en route to a 9-1 start to the season.

Starting Friday, Sept. 24 and continuing through Oct. 11, they will be auctioning their shirts off as well.

In an effort to raise funds for Kicks Against Breast Cancer, the Irish will auction commemorative pink-and-white jerseys to be worn during the final homestand of the season against Seton Hall on Oct. 8 and Rutgers on Oct. 10. Fans will be able to bid on the autographed jerseys through the official Notre Dame athletics auction website at www.und.com/auctions.

Kicks Against Breast Cancer is an annual collegiate program dedicated to helping find a cure for breast cancer, offering support to women living with the disease.

The initiative includes a fundraising tournament in April, but it also encourages the top collegiate programs around the nation to contribute by raising $1,000.

To that end, the Irish have stepped up to the challenge by enlisting their support to finding a cure. Proceeds from the 28 auctioned jerseys will go directly to the foundation.

This season’s fundraiser comes on the heels of the highly successful jersey auction last spring to support the Camp Watcha-Wanna-Do, an Indiana based camp dedicated to supporting children fight cancer. The squad raised close to $3000, as the auctioned jerseys were worn in an April 23 exhibition match against the Mexican National Team.

“Our players took the initiative and wanted to make this happen, and I hope we’ll see some enthusiastic and competitive bids for these one-of-a-kind jerseys,” Irish coach Randy Waldrum told und.com.

The auctions start at $50 per jersey.