ND Women’s Tennis: Frilling receives high ranking in singles poll

Megan Finneran | Thursday, September 16, 2010

Juniors Kristy Frilling and Shannon Mathews ranked in the preseason Campbell/ITA Rankings, both individually in singles and as a doubles pair.

Frilling was also selected to compete in the Riviera/ITA All-American Championship.

Both Frilling and Mathews have previously been ranked in the singles preseason polls, where Frilling now stands in eighth and Mathews at 42nd.

“This is my first time being ranked in the top 10 in singles. I’m excited for the fall tournaments and hope to improve my ranking,” Frilling said.

Last season, the doubles matches that the duo played together were enough to earn them the preseason ranking of tenth for the upcoming season.

“I really enjoyed playing with Kristy,” Mathews said. “My doubles game will only improve playing alongside her. We look forward to competing against the top players in the nation.”

Entering the season already ranked brings mixed reviews from the pair regardless of having been in this situation before.

“It definitely puts a bit more pressure on, but I’m really excited to play this fall and keep up with my rankings,” Frilling said.

Rather than feeling pressured, Mathews said she is excited for the ranking.

“It is a great feeling going into a match, tournament or season knowing that we are expected to do well,” she said.

For now, Frilling and Mathews’ said their agendas consist of fall tournaments to stay in shape and on top of their game before the intensity of the spring arrives. In the past two years, the Irish team has advanced to the NCAA Final Four, where both Frilling and Mathews hope to find themselves again this season.

The two are set to play as a doubles pair again this season, but that may change as time progresses. Both players said they enjoy the atmosphere doubles brings.

“With doubles, you have a partner out there on the court with you. In singles, it is you against your opponent,” Mathews said. “I really enjoy both, but for different reasons.”

Frilling agreed, sharing the love for both aspects of the game.

“Singles and doubles are both completely different games and it’s fun to adjust your game to each,” she said.

The Irish will begin their fall schedule Oct. 3 in Pacific Palisades, Calif. for the All-American Pre Qualifying Tournament.